Child Custody


In Massachusetts, several types of custody arrangements exist pertaining to children in family law actions. There is sole legal custody which is defined as one parent making all the major decisions pertaining to the children. Major decisions include matters involving education and significant medical treatment. There is also sole physical custody which is different from legal custody. Sole physical custody means that the children reside with one parent who makes the day to day decisions pertaining to the children. The court also may provide the other parent with parenting time unless it is not in the best interests of the children. Parents can also share legal custody and make joint major decisions regarding the children. Lastly, the parents can share physical custody. In this arrangement, both parents are mutually responsible for the regular care of the children and share time equally. Shared physical custody requires that both parents respect each other’s ability to parent and are able to co-parent together in a cooperative way.

When parents are not married, the mother has sole legal and physical custody until the court orders otherwise. If the parents agree and they have been able to co-parent successfully prior to the action being filed, the court can award shared legal or shared physical custody. If the parents are married and an action is pending for divorce or custody, the parents automatically have temporary shared legal custody. If there is an issue of abuse or neglect involving one parent, the court may grant one parent sole legal custody.

Parenting Time

If one parent has physical custody, the other parent can seek an order for parenting time with the children unless it is not in the best interests of the children. In some circumstances, parenting time with the children may be required to be under the supervision of a third person. If the child is in danger while with the other parent, an agreed upon supervisor or a supervised visitation center can be utilized.

Once a parenting schedule is established, the law does not provide guidance as to which parent is to provide transportation for the visits. If the parties cannot agree on drop off and pick up of the children, the court will need to enter an order.

Shared Physical Custody

Shared legal custody in Massachusetts means “a continued mutual responsibility and involvement by both parents in decisions regarding the child’s welfare in matters of education, medical care, emotional, moral and religious development.” Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 208, Section 31.

Shared physical custody does not fall under G.L. c. 208, Section 31. There is no presumption that joint physical custody is in the best interests of the children. The matter of shared physical custody is for the court to decide. At a trial on shared custody, legal or physical, an implementation plan must be filed by the parties setting forth details of the shared custody arrangement. The plan should include matters regarding the children’s education, health care, how disputes will be resolved, and a parenting plan.

Access to Records

If an order is entered granting sole legal and physical custody to one parent, the other parent has access to the academic, medical or other health records of the children. However, some circumstances may warrant that the non-custodial parent should not have access to these records. These circumstances may include situations involving a restraining order or safety of the children or the other parent.

Modifications of Custody

If a parent seeks to modify a custody order, that parent must demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances which supports a change in custody. Examples of a change in circumstances include one parent moving out of state, a parent is unfit to care for the children or has allowed a dangerous individual into the household, or a parent has overcome problems that prevented the parent from initially having custody.


Is There a Difference Between Divorce and Family Law Cases?
What most people think of as a family law case is a divorce case. Divorce, also known as dissolution of marriage, is a legal proceeding to terminate the marriage. The case is filed with the Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts in the county where one party resides. However, if one of the parties still resides in the county where the parties last lived together, the case must be filed in that county. If the grounds for divorce occurred outside of Massachusetts, you must reside in Massachusetts for one year prior to filing. If the grounds occurred in Massachusetts, you or your spouse must reside in Massachusetts and there is no time requirement.
Am I Entitled to Social Security Disability?
Social Security Title II Disability provides disabled workers with monthly benefits and Medicare coverage after receiving SSDI benefits for 24 months. In order to be found disabled, you must be unable to work due to your disability which has lasted or can be expected to last for twelve continuous months. Generally, in order to be found disabled, you must have worked 5 out of the 10 years prior to the date you became disabled. Social Security breaks a year down into four quarters. In 2013, you have worked a full quarter credit if you earned $1,160 of income. If you have earned $4,640, you have earned four credits for the year even if all of your earnings were earned in one month.
Do I Need an Estate Plan?
Estate Planning is the very important process everyone should go through in order to be prepared for one's inevitable, and sometimes unexpected, death. Most of us are fortunate enough to have families that we would like to take care of and friends that we would like to remember with a gift upon our passing. What you own and what your familial obligations are will help determine what kind of estate plan you should have. An estate plan is a gift to your family. Between probate and taxes, your family may spend lots of time and money that could have been saved by an effective estate plan. Your survivors will have a much easier time both emotionally and financially if there is an estate plan in place before your demise.

Client Reviews

I engaged Attorney Fiore for my divorce. My ex-spouse hired a big (in name only) Boston law firm that thought they could pressure us with various discovery requests, non-standard positions and they were also unresponsive for over 20 months. Attorney Fiore appropriately advised me through this...

Client, Keith

Susan is an amazing lawyer! I can honestly say I am very lucky and blessed to have her as my lawyer! I have been going through a lot with my son's father in court. Susan is very knowledgeable about law practices and very honest about how something may…

Client, Kayla

There are a lot of testimonials here about how difficult peoples divorce was and how Attorney Fiore assisted them through that difficult time in their life. I have no doubt they are true. In my case I was fortunate to have Attorney Fiore help me…

Client, Ray

If I had a ballot for Massachusetts Attorney of the Year, Attorney Susan Fiore would get my vote! I retained Attorney Fiore to help me navigate the legal system and explore an uncontested resolution to a divorce/child support modification…

Client, Gregg

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Over 29 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Track Record of Success
Fill out the contact form or call us at (617) 620-5762 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message

We Accept the Following Credit Cards:

American Express LogoDiscover LogoMastercard LogoVisa Logo