Child Support and College Education Costs

Payment of college education costs by parents of an adult child is a privilege for the child not a right. With the escalating cost of a four year degree, the issue of one parent or both parents in a divorce action paying for college has become a very contentious matter. Since 1991, the Probate and Family Court can make an order pertaining to the support, maintenance and education of a child up to age 23. For support to continue to be paid, the child must be living in the home of a parent and primarily dependent upon that parent for support due to enrollment in college. In Kirwood v. Kirwood, 27 Mass. App. Ct 1156, the court determined that a child was not dependent on the mother for support despite the child domiciled in the mother’s home. Father paid a substantial tuition, paid for uninsured medical expenses and paid for vacations for the child, among other expenses.

In a recent appeals court case, the court determined that the trial court judge did not abuse her discretion when she modified a divorce judgment determining a husband overpaid child support as he had paid for the child’s education. Their income was over $250,000. Therefore, the child support guidelines did not apply. The child was living at college most of the year and the college expenses were substantial. The court found that under Mass. General Laws Ch. 208, Section 34, a judge has considerable discretion in setting child support orders.

Despite the court having the ability to make an order for educational costs, the issue of whether a court can order divorcing parents to set up an educational trust is still undetermined. A trust would require use of marital property to set it up. Under Mass. General Laws Ch. 208, Section 34, a court is not authorized to award parental property to be given to a child. However, under Section 34, it can consider the present and future needs of the children. In one case, an order was upheld for mother to create an educational trust when she had cashed out certificates of deposit bought by the grandfather for the children’s educational costs. Neither parent was able to pay for college from their income.

Under Mass. General Laws Ch. 208, Section 28, a clear distinction is made between an order to meet the needs of minor children and the needs of adult dependent children. In the Passemato decision, the court found that while a child is still a minor, orders regarding future payment of post high school education costs are premature and should not be made. An order for college expenses before the child is near age eighteen is invalid unless there are special circumstances. Braun v. Braun, 68 Mass. App. Ct 846 (2007).

In some cases when college expenses are merged into the divorce agreement and both parents are to share expenses, the court considers factors such as income of the parents, the standard of living which the child would have enjoyed if the parents were not divorced, the cost of school, the child’s scholastic ability, and the extent one party may have been excluded from the college decision process in determining whether it is reasonable for the parents to share expenses.


Is There a Difference Between Divorce and Family Law Cases?
What most people think of as a family law case is a divorce case. Divorce, also known as dissolution of marriage, is a legal proceeding to terminate the marriage. The case is filed with the Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts in the county where one party resides. However, if one of the parties still resides in the county where the parties last lived together, the case must be filed in that county. If the grounds for divorce occurred outside of Massachusetts, you must reside in Massachusetts for one year prior to filing. If the grounds occurred in Massachusetts, you or your spouse must reside in Massachusetts and there is no time requirement.
Am I Entitled to Social Security Disability?
Social Security Title II Disability provides disabled workers with monthly benefits and Medicare coverage after receiving SSDI benefits for 24 months. In order to be found disabled, you must be unable to work due to your disability which has lasted or can be expected to last for twelve continuous months. Generally, in order to be found disabled, you must have worked 5 out of the 10 years prior to the date you became disabled. Social Security breaks a year down into four quarters. In 2013, you have worked a full quarter credit if you earned $1,160 of income. If you have earned $4,640, you have earned four credits for the year even if all of your earnings were earned in one month.
Do I Need an Estate Plan?
Estate Planning is the very important process everyone should go through in order to be prepared for one's inevitable, and sometimes unexpected, death. Most of us are fortunate enough to have families that we would like to take care of and friends that we would like to remember with a gift upon our passing. What you own and what your familial obligations are will help determine what kind of estate plan you should have. An estate plan is a gift to your family. Between probate and taxes, your family may spend lots of time and money that could have been saved by an effective estate plan. Your survivors will have a much easier time both emotionally and financially if there is an estate plan in place before your demise.

Client Reviews

I engaged Attorney Fiore for my divorce. My ex-spouse hired a big (in name only) Boston law firm that thought they could pressure us with various discovery requests, non-standard positions and they were also unresponsive for over 20 months. Attorney Fiore appropriately advised me through this...

Client, Keith

Susan is an amazing lawyer! I can honestly say I am very lucky and blessed to have her as my lawyer! I have been going through a lot with my son's father in court. Susan is very knowledgeable about law practices and very honest about how something may…

Client, Kayla

There are a lot of testimonials here about how difficult peoples divorce was and how Attorney Fiore assisted them through that difficult time in their life. I have no doubt they are true. In my case I was fortunate to have Attorney Fiore help me…

Client, Ray

If I had a ballot for Massachusetts Attorney of the Year, Attorney Susan Fiore would get my vote! I retained Attorney Fiore to help me navigate the legal system and explore an uncontested resolution to a divorce/child support modification…

Client, Gregg

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Over 29 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Track Record of Success
Fill out the contact form or call us at (617) 620-5762 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message

We Accept the Following Credit Cards:

American Express LogoDiscover LogoMastercard LogoVisa Logo