Grandparent Visitation

Grandparent Visitation Rights with Children

Paternal grandparents of a child (father’s parents) whose parents never married can seek an order from the probate and family court in Massachusetts to obtain visitation time with their grandchildren under the following circumstances: (1) paternity has been established by a voluntary acknowledgement form signed by the parents; or (2) paternity has been established by the court under a paternity action. A voluntary acknowledgement is a document in Massachusetts executed by both parents stating that the father is the biological father of the child. A Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage form establishes a child’s paternity after both parents have signed it and the State Registry of Vital Records and Statistics has accepted it for legal registration. Also, to obtain visitation the parents must be living apart. However, a court’s adjudication of paternity or acknowledgement of paternity by the parents is not required when maternal grandparents (mother’s parents) seek visitation. Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 119, Section 39D.

In addition, a parent who has custody has the legal right to make decisions as to whether a grandparent can have visitation with the child if a court order has not been entered allowing visitation. In order to get visitation, a grandparent must establish that it is not in the child’s best interest to deny visitation. A grandparent “must allege and prove that the failure to grant visitation will cause the child significant harm by adversely affecting the child’s health, safety, or welfare. The requirement of significant harm presupposes proof of a showing of a significant preexisting relationship between the grandparent and the child. In absence of such a relationship, the grandparent must prove that visitation between grandparent and child is nevertheless necessary to protect the child from significant harm.” Blixt v. Blixt, 437 Mass. 649, 657-658 (2002).

The court considers the following in making this determination on visitation:

  • the relationship between the grandparent and child;
  • the emotional and physical health of the grandparent, parent and the child if it affects each adult’s ability to care for the child;
  • the length of time and nature of the disagreement between the grandparent and the parent;
  • the reason the parent opposes the visitation;
  • history of neglect or abuse of the child by any adult;
  • the child’s need for free time;
  • other relevant factors.

If the court allows the visitation, it must find it is in the child’s best interest. M.G.L, Chapter 119, Section 39D.

A grandparent must also allege how the absence of visitation will cause the child significant harm. “Before a parent or parents are called upon to litigate fully a grandparent visitation complaint, with all the attendant stress and expense, the grandparent or grandparents should make an initial showing that satisfied a judge that the burden of proof, set forth above, can be met. To this end, any complaint filed under the statute should be detailed and verified or be accompanied by a detailed and verified affidavit setting out the factual basis relied on by the plaintiffs to justify relief.” Blixt v. Blixt, 437 Mass. 649 (2002). If a grandparent will protect a child from harm or domestic violence, this strengthens the case.

Lastly, grandparent visitation cannot be granted if the child has been adopted by someone other than the child’s stepparent. Also, a preexisting order for visitation is terminated upon adoption without any further action by the court.


Is There a Difference Between Divorce and Family Law Cases?
What most people think of as a family law case is a divorce case. Divorce, also known as dissolution of marriage, is a legal proceeding to terminate the marriage. The case is filed with the Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts in the county where one party resides. However, if one of the parties still resides in the county where the parties last lived together, the case must be filed in that county. If the grounds for divorce occurred outside of Massachusetts, you must reside in Massachusetts for one year prior to filing. If the grounds occurred in Massachusetts, you or your spouse must reside in Massachusetts and there is no time requirement.
Am I Entitled to Social Security Disability?
Social Security Title II Disability provides disabled workers with monthly benefits and Medicare coverage after receiving SSDI benefits for 24 months. In order to be found disabled, you must be unable to work due to your disability which has lasted or can be expected to last for twelve continuous months. Generally, in order to be found disabled, you must have worked 5 out of the 10 years prior to the date you became disabled. Social Security breaks a year down into four quarters. In 2013, you have worked a full quarter credit if you earned $1,160 of income. If you have earned $4,640, you have earned four credits for the year even if all of your earnings were earned in one month.
Do I Need an Estate Plan?
Estate Planning is the very important process everyone should go through in order to be prepared for one's inevitable, and sometimes unexpected, death. Most of us are fortunate enough to have families that we would like to take care of and friends that we would like to remember with a gift upon our passing. What you own and what your familial obligations are will help determine what kind of estate plan you should have. An estate plan is a gift to your family. Between probate and taxes, your family may spend lots of time and money that could have been saved by an effective estate plan. Your survivors will have a much easier time both emotionally and financially if there is an estate plan in place before your demise.

Client Reviews

I engaged Attorney Fiore for my divorce. My ex-spouse hired a big (in name only) Boston law firm that thought they could pressure us with various discovery requests, non-standard positions and they were also unresponsive for over 20 months. Attorney Fiore appropriately advised me through this...

Client, Keith

Susan is an amazing lawyer! I can honestly say I am very lucky and blessed to have her as my lawyer! I have been going through a lot with my son's father in court. Susan is very knowledgeable about law practices and very honest about how something may…

Client, Kayla

There are a lot of testimonials here about how difficult peoples divorce was and how Attorney Fiore assisted them through that difficult time in their life. I have no doubt they are true. In my case I was fortunate to have Attorney Fiore help me…

Client, Ray

If I had a ballot for Massachusetts Attorney of the Year, Attorney Susan Fiore would get my vote! I retained Attorney Fiore to help me navigate the legal system and explore an uncontested resolution to a divorce/child support modification…

Client, Gregg

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Over 29 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Track Record of Success
Fill out the contact form or call us at (617) 620-5762 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message

We Accept the Following Credit Cards:

American Express LogoDiscover LogoMastercard LogoVisa Logo