Restraining Orders/Harassment Prevention Orders

M.G.L. 209A

Restraining orders or abuse prevention orders fall under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 209A. It allows a family or household member to file an application for court ordered protection against abuse. Abuse includes physical harm or attempted harm, fear of physical harm and/or forced sexual harm. The definition of family or household member includes individuals who are married to each other, reside together in the same house, are or were related by blood or marriage, those who have a child together, and those in a substantive heterosexual or same sex relationship.

In determining if a relationship is substantive, a court can consider the length of the relationship, frequency of contact between the parties, termination of the relationship by a party, and the length of time since termination. Also, grandparents of children to unmarried parents can also seek a protection order against the child’s parent who is not related to them.

The court can also enforce protection orders issued by another state. It is effective for the length of time originally ordered by the other state and a certified copy can be filed with the Superior, District or Probate and Family Court so that it can be entered with the statewide domestic violence record keeping system in the Commonwealth. However, it does not have to be registered if the victim doesn’t want a new location of residence released.

If the order is entered by the Probate Court, it will supersede prior orders from the District Court. This eliminates conflict issues between the courts.

In most cases, an individual seeking a restraining order must file a complaint and affidavit supporting the action with the Superior, District or Probate Court. The party will appear initially ex-parte (without the other party present) before the court. The court can issue the order temporarily until there is a full hearing or it can defer on the order and set the matter down for a full hearing for the other party to be present. The temporary order continues for up to 10 days and will be set for a full hearing within that time frame. Once the temporary order is issued, the police where the Defendant resides will serve the order. If an application needs to be made after the court is closed, you can go to your local police station in your town to obtain a temporary emergency 209A restraining order. You can seek the order without utilizing an attorney.

If an order is entered, a Defendant can be ordered to refrain from further abuse and refrain from contacting the victim directly, indirectly, by phone, email, text or through third parties. The Defendant can be ordered to stay away from the victim’s home, workplace or school. Usually, the stay away order is to remain at least 100 yards from the victim. The order can award custody of the children to the victim. The Defendant may be ordered to pay support, pay for the victim’s losses, including loss of wages, medical expenses, moving expenses, attorneys fees, among other things. The Defendant may further be ordered to refrain from contact with the children, to surrender keys to the home and surrender firearms and identification cards. The court cannot make a visitation order for the Defendant with the children. Lastly, the court can order that victim’s address be impounded. Restraining orders typically last one year and can be renewed thereafter. An order can also become permanent.

There is a difference between no contact orders and restraining orders. In a criminal case, the Defendant may be arraigned on criminal charges stemming from an incident of domestic violence. A court can order the Defendant to stay away or order a no contact provision as a civil restraining order between the parties. Violation can be penalized by revocation of bail or Defendant’s recognizance or charge of criminal contempt of court. Violation of a 209A restraining order is a misdemeanor and the maximum penalty upon conviction is 2 and ½ years in the house of correction.

M.G.L. 258E

An individual who cannot seek a restraining order, may be able to obtain a harassment prevention order. A harassment order is obtained through the District Court, Superior Court, BMC or Juvenile Court (parties under 17) and cannot be obtained through the Probate Court. Harassment is defined as 3 or more acts aimed at a specific person. The acts do not necessarily have to be recent or considered ”abuse” as required for a 209A order. The acts must be willful and malicious, done with intent to cause fear, intimidation, abuse or property damage. Also, the acts must have caused the victim fear, intimidation, abuse or property damage. It can be one act if by force, threat or duress causes another to engage in involuntarily sexual relations or violates certain statutory provisions. The family relationship or household member requirement for a 209A order is not required for a 258E order. For example, a tenant can seek to obtain a harassment prevention order against a landlord. A Defendant can be ordered to not abuse or harass the victim, not to contact the victim, remain away from victim’s home or work, pay monetary damages for direct losses, and attorneys fees.


Is There a Difference Between Divorce and Family Law Cases?
What most people think of as a family law case is a divorce case. Divorce, also known as dissolution of marriage, is a legal proceeding to terminate the marriage. The case is filed with the Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts in the county where one party resides. However, if one of the parties still resides in the county where the parties last lived together, the case must be filed in that county. If the grounds for divorce occurred outside of Massachusetts, you must reside in Massachusetts for one year prior to filing. If the grounds occurred in Massachusetts, you or your spouse must reside in Massachusetts and there is no time requirement.
Am I Entitled to Social Security Disability?
Social Security Title II Disability provides disabled workers with monthly benefits and Medicare coverage after receiving SSDI benefits for 24 months. In order to be found disabled, you must be unable to work due to your disability which has lasted or can be expected to last for twelve continuous months. Generally, in order to be found disabled, you must have worked 5 out of the 10 years prior to the date you became disabled. Social Security breaks a year down into four quarters. In 2013, you have worked a full quarter credit if you earned $1,160 of income. If you have earned $4,640, you have earned four credits for the year even if all of your earnings were earned in one month.
Do I Need an Estate Plan?
Estate Planning is the very important process everyone should go through in order to be prepared for one's inevitable, and sometimes unexpected, death. Most of us are fortunate enough to have families that we would like to take care of and friends that we would like to remember with a gift upon our passing. What you own and what your familial obligations are will help determine what kind of estate plan you should have. An estate plan is a gift to your family. Between probate and taxes, your family may spend lots of time and money that could have been saved by an effective estate plan. Your survivors will have a much easier time both emotionally and financially if there is an estate plan in place before your demise.

Client Reviews

I engaged Attorney Fiore for my divorce. My ex-spouse hired a big (in name only) Boston law firm that thought they could pressure us with various discovery requests, non-standard positions and they were also unresponsive for over 20 months. Attorney Fiore appropriately advised me through this...

Client, Keith

Susan is an amazing lawyer! I can honestly say I am very lucky and blessed to have her as my lawyer! I have been going through a lot with my son's father in court. Susan is very knowledgeable about law practices and very honest about how something may…

Client, Kayla

There are a lot of testimonials here about how difficult peoples divorce was and how Attorney Fiore assisted them through that difficult time in their life. I have no doubt they are true. In my case I was fortunate to have Attorney Fiore help me…

Client, Ray

If I had a ballot for Massachusetts Attorney of the Year, Attorney Susan Fiore would get my vote! I retained Attorney Fiore to help me navigate the legal system and explore an uncontested resolution to a divorce/child support modification…

Client, Gregg

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Over 29 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Track Record of Success
Fill out the contact form or call us at (617) 620-5762 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message

We Accept the Following Credit Cards:

American Express LogoDiscover LogoMastercard LogoVisa Logo